Monday, September 20, 2010

Warhammer, Two Years and Counting

What a weekend for Warhammer.  With it's two year anniversary this past weekend, the double xp / renown bonus was in affect and it made for some great and crazy battles on Iron Rock.  I received as much as 16,000 renown for a solo kill this weekend.  It was at a BO in Dragonwake, and I was on my rank 50 DoK.  Some scrub of a Witch Hunter could not finish me off, I honestly felt bad for him.  Overall I only gained about three full ranks this weekend on my DoK, Luvsiq.  Wait a minute, did I say only?  Thanks to what could possibly the biggest and most overlooked change to the game since day one, people are ranking up faster than ever. 

Boy has our perception changed over the past few years of playing, hasn't it?  I'm near complaining that I gained ONLY three full renown ranks this weekend, with very limited playtime.  Obviously like everyone else I'm in love with the renown we've been seeing over the past few weeks.  With Against All Odds and double renown, you'd have to be a fool to not be out in the lakes participating in RvR.  Mythic has drastically altered Warhammer Online with the implementation of AAO.  They have cut leveling time by an immeasurable amount, not to mention the time it takes to rank up to 80.  I find myself asking the question though, what is Mythic really trying to do at the moment?  How is this change affecting the servers in the long run?  At some point in the very near future everyone will be on the same playing field, but is this a good thing? 

We know they are attempting to level out the ranks of players with the upcoming RvR packs.  That is all well and good.  Yes, there are people who don't like it and understandably so.  Rank 80's really are gaining nothing during this time, and it can be frustrating to see people gaining renown so quickly whereas it took them years to achieve such ranks.  Yes, there are also still some flaws.  For the most part though, it is well received. 

Other than leveling the playing field, what other goals is Mythic trying to accomplish right now?  Promotion of ORvR?  Could be.  We've certainly seen across the servers that open world RvR is in high demand right now because of the renown and xp bonuses.  With that scenarios seem to be lacking at times, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing.  Other than the fact it's certainly making it tough to earn my Royal Insignia weapons. 

Perhaps Mythic is also trying to weed out any stability issues on the servers?  We have seen absolutely huge numbers in RvR over the past few weeks.  Take a look at here from Bootae.  With such crazy fights and numbers we have seen some lag, but overall I feel as if Iron Rock has maintained well.   Also with the announcement of server transfers being disabled to Badlands, perhaps there are some more "mergers" on the horizon?  It's no secret that the other NA servers are having some larger influxes of population, perhaps internal testing is being done to see just what the effects would be if another server the size of Badlands was created. 

Who knows?  All the anticipation for 1.4 and the RvR packs has got me spouting off what probably amounts to total nonsense.  What I do know, is that right now it is a great time to be a Warhammer Online player. It has never been easier to get to end game, and the end game has never been as fun as it is now.  I hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment